Smart meter and energy coach v2

Smart meter & design system
co-creation with a major
energy company
The first project aimed to help the client create a better BtoC experience through their digital services and their new offer of connected smart meter. As a follow up of multiple projects with them, I took part of a new one aiming to reduce time to market by creating a ressources sharing platform with the best experience possible.
I took part of this project as team member of Fjord Paris. My role on this first one was to co-lead it with a strong focus on the UX/UI part

Our strategy was to run four “sprints”: First one, research and interview, second one workshop and co-création to stop misalignment with the client, third and fourth production and test.

Through test and interview, we confirmed that people look at energy providers the same way they look at taxes. It’s mandatory & it’s a loss of money. The main challenge of the project was to build trust despite this mindset. Base on the work done, three main design directions were taken: we simplify a very complex system, we use gamification pattern tested and working, we speak in Euro not kilowatt

“I want them to talk to me in euros.” – user test
Building on all the learning from the interviews, we started designing and drawing first version of wireframes. through multiple iterations, quick guerilla testing, and co-creation with our client, we created a good enough version to test it with real user.

As we were integrating learning from the user test, we worked on the visual design to create a high fidelity version of the application that we tested again with representative users.

As a result of the project we delivered a set of recommandation to the client for him to take on the work. We delivered screens and a clear flow of the app version, but most of all we produced a guide describing the main rules of the UX experience we created. This way even if the application slightly change over the development, they would follow a commun mindset that have been tested and approved.
After some times, we started to work on a design system that would bring continuity over multiple projects. From there, the client asked us to work on a platform that would help him share assets and knowledge across all his business units. My role on this project was to lead the design.

We started by interviewing main actors of the different BU to try to find commun interest. It showed that our client’s BU, as often, where strongly separated. Even if international communication within the company is possible, lack of visibility on status of project and team members was a big pain point in term of design sharing, code reuse and knowledge sharing.

Then building on the different insights, we did 3 sprints of 2 weeks, to design the platform test it and iterate on it with end-users. This way we brought the platform from wireframes to high-fidelity screens. The platform is now developed and live

Beside the mission to create a platform, through the interviews, it was clear for us that a new tool will not solve all their innovation process pain points. We created workshops and recommandation to help them understand key points they needed to work on to improve. This was the starting point for a new team to help the client change from within and work on it’s innovation process through multiple other workshops and platform iterations.